Friday, October 19, 2012

21 weeks: growth spurt

I was up until 5am this morning, trying to catch my breath. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I've read that growing baby could put pressure on the lungs, making it hard to breathe. That's what I must have been experiencing. I've also read that pregnant women could experience temporary asthma - hope that's not the case... I was exhausted, but I couldn't lie down. I kept sitting up, stretching, standing up, and shifting all over the place, trying to find a position that would allow me to take a satisfying breath. I thought I was going to have a panic attack.

Fortunately, no attack came, and I eventually fell asleep. But I woke up only a few hours later from the kicking baby, who is getting stronger every day. It could also have been the hunger, which I actually enjoy because I usually feel it in the form of nausea. Hunger pangs are so much better.

This past week has been rough, and I wonder if it's because the baby is going through a growth spurt. I weighed myself this morning, and I noticed I have gained 3 lbs in about a week, which hasn't happened before. This baby is definitely growing, and the thought makes me so happy. Last night, I felt a bit crazy because I kept smiling when the baby moved, all the while breathing loudly enough to wake up my husband and tearing because I was in pain.

I'm getting huge, fast. I thought I was going to get away with wearing my regular shirts for a long time, but I'm beginning to need stretchier and longer ones. I've decided if feeling good in this growing body requires wearing the right clothes, it's worth the investment. With that logic, I just ordered some maternity shirts and a coat.

PHOTO: growing belly at 21 weeks - may appear larger in real life.



No comments:

Post a Comment